Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Certain Witch

Sir Frederick Black, the raven, stood motionless on one foot while watching a certain witch undress bathe and dress herself again in white and gold finery. He didn’t so much as blink. “If only I could be a man for one day,” he thought.
“Then I would suck out your soul too,” the witch smiled.
If Sir Frederick Black could have blushed he would have because you can imagine the other thoughts he was having before we began this little story.
“I’m quite certain I don’t have a soul, at least not one like a man.”
“A point, but never you mind my little black friend I like you just the way you are and it makes me smile that your imagination is so vivid. Hot oil and honey? Really! Where ever did you get such a notion.”
As you can well imagine Sir Frederick Black was wishing he could evaporate or sink into the ground or something like that. “I...uh..er..how is it that in nine years of knowing you, you managed to keep the fact that you can read minds a secret?”
“Freddy Black,” she began. It gave him chills up his back when she called him that. “I only just learned this spell and you are the first I’ve tried it out on. Don’t be angry with me.” She dipped her head slightly and looked up at him. “How is it in nine years of knowing you, you never said you loved me.”
“It’s not exactly something a bird says to a woman now is it?”
“And why not?”
“Would you like me to go into a physiological discussion or philosophical one? One dealing with anatomy, the other with wanting what one cannot have.”
She laughed and clapped her hands. “Are all males alike? They cannot love a woman without sex? Even you Freddy Black?”
“Certainly I’ll not speak for all males but this one never had sex with his mother or sister or my many daughters. Don’t be ridiculous; it’s you. It’s you. It’s you.”
“I’m sure I could turn into a bird but I doubt I could turn you into a man.”
The fact that she even said this had Sir Frederick Black standing on two feet then one then the other. “Perhaps one day I’ll find such a shape changing spell. Until then wear this gold chain it will bring you luck, and may keep you safe ‘till I do.” She put it around his neck and kissed him.
The day he died he was still wearing that gold chain.

No comments:

Post a Comment